This past weekend Teddy’s parents were here and like I previously said I actually cooked and it was actually good.
On Saturday night I had my parents over to hang out with his parents….learn more about eachother…..make friends with eachother…and of course talk about the wedding with his mom and my mom all there! It was really a good time.
I know I am making a pretty big deal about this and it was just soup and salad but to be honest I really wish more people shared easy recipes like this. Oh and I am sorry about having no photos of my own….I was busy cooking…I couldn’t take pics!
Okay so on to the food!
Smoky corn chowder which was amazing! This photo was taken from the Real Simple website!
- 8 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen corn
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Spoon off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings and return the pot to medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, and red pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the corn, broth, and half-and-half and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pot, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and stir to combine.
- Divide the soup among individual bowls and top with the scallions and reserved bacon.
I replaced the regular bacon with turkey bacon….it doesn’t make as much grease but it worked out just fine. I also replaced the half and half with fat free half and half! It’s really important to taste it once it’s been purred and add more spices if needed.
I made a salad….just a simple salad…you can’t screw that up. BUT…you knew there would be a “but”.
I made a really good salad dressing…..I love love love red onions. Teddy doesn’t really love it when he wants a hot make out session but I love it all the time!
Red Onion Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red onion minced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon all purpose spice blend
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend at top speed for 1 minute.
- Chill overnight in refrigerator.
PUMPKIN BROWNIES WITH CREAM CHEESE ICING
Okay so this was the biggest hit of the night! I mean at least for the sweet lovers….I’m not a huge fan of sweets but this was pretty darn good if I say so myself (a humble cook I am).
I got this recipe from Whoorl. She is a friend of mine’s sister….and is well just hilarious. I saw this and had to try it! This photo is from her website.
Heavenly Pumpkin Brownies
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs well, add in the sugar and butter and mix well. Add the pumpkin and vanilla and mix. Add the flour and spices and mix well. Spread in a 9 X 13-inch greased pan.
2. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
3. To make frosting: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until just mixed, careful not to over mix.
When the brownies are cool, frost.
So there you have it….my version of a homemade dinner. Again I know it’s just soup and salad but everyone really enjoyed the simpleness and it gave us all much more time to visit and hang out. Can’t blame a girl for loving easy!
Hope you all are having a great week and if you have an easy recipe you want to share give it up!